RHodimet® NP99 is Adisseo’s proprietary form containing at least 99% methionine, an organic form of sulfur, manufactured in France for animals. Methionine is one of the essential amino acids that have to come from the diet. If too low in the intake, it may be beneficial for feed additional methionine.
The NRC (National Research Council) hasn’t set a recommended amount per day but the current best guess for mature horses is 2.5 to 5 grams of methionine per day.
Dr Eleanor Kellon VMD “Methionine is a structural amino acid important which means you can find it in all proteins in the body, from skeletal muscle to haemoglobin, antibodies and enzymes. Methionine is also required for the initiation of building proteins in the body.”
Insufficient methionine can play a role in crumbling and cracking hooves
If you need a supplement to support muscle building/topline as well as healthy hooves, Equine Amino may be the better choice.
Use by date is 5 years if stored in a dry and cool place.
L-Methionine – A Vital Amino Acid
Methionine can be converted to the other two sulfur containing amino acids, cysteine and cystine. Sulfur bonds between cystine amino acids strengthen the structure of hooves, hair, tendons and ligaments.
Methionine is required for the production of:
- Taurine – central to health of the heart, nervous system and eyes
- L-carnitine – a carrier that is necessary to burn fats for energy
- Metallothionein – a protein which binds excess dietary minerals, and toxics, and carries them back into the bowel for excretion
- creatine – the carrier of high energy bonds for muscle contraction
- glutathione – the body’s master antioxidant
Methionine also functions as a methyl group donor by being the precursor for SAM. Transfer of methyl groups (transmethylation) is involved in a host of body functions including:
- Detoxification reactions in the liver
- Production of epinephrine
- Regulation of the activity of DNA
- Production of the active form of the vitamin folic acid
- Recycling of methionine
- Regulation of the immune response
- Recycling of glutathione into an active form
The amino acid Methionine is a nutritional supplement product for inclusion in horse’s feed. Product has no therapeutic effect and is designed to be administered in a feed for voluntary ingestion for horses.
Horse consumption only.